A lot of times as a child you get asked “what do you want to be when you grow up?” Over time this question evolves into “what do you like to do in your free time?”, “what are you going to do after high school?”, “where do you see yourself in 5 years?”, and finally the competitive question “what are you doing these days?”.
It seems like your whole like you are expected to know what category you want to fall into, and have some sort of idea on who you want to be. And the ironic thing is that so many people want you to have an answer and then when you provide one they say, “oh watch, that will change. You’ll change your mind a thousand times.” Maybe I will, maybe I won’t.
I’ve gotten to the point where I am now asked and asking myself where I will be in 5 years. If you’ve ever had a conversation with me, you understand that I am completely goal oriented. I set my goals, meet my goals, and then set new ones. This leads to a lot of success, but it also leads to a lot of exhaustion. Nevertheless, I power on. And since I’ve been thinking about this topic so much lately, I thought I could share with you exactly how I think my life will go so we can all look back later and laugh.
I am 19 right now. That means in 5 years I will 24 years old.
- I see myself finished with school with a degree in either Business Administration or Business Management.
- I imagine myself in a cute little apartment in a cute little place with cute little plants all over the living room.
- A tiny car or little bike will probably be my mode of transportation depending on where I decide to live.
- Obviously I see my boyfriend Dakota there, and we’re probably engaged or married. Most likely engaged though. And we cook together and fight a lot but love each other. It’ll be great.
- This blog will still and always be a major part of my life. I’m hoping by then it will be my full time commitment. I need your help to get me there.
- I see a happily simple life in a nice town doing what I love with the person I love. Maybe there’s a puppy there too.
All of the time I think about my future. I worry that sometimes I think so much about my future that I forget about the present. When I look at my life right now, I see it as foundations blocks for my life tomorrow. My classes, my car, my passions, all just building blocks waiting for upgrades as my life progresses.
If you ever found my journal you would find notes after notes after notes of plans and ideas for my future. Earlier I wrote:
It’s like we’re slow motion stumbling into adulthood right now trying to land on our hands but scraping our elbows.
That’s exactly what life feels like right now. Stumbling and tripping, bracing myself for impact buy loving the fall.
I have short term goals too. Like finishing this semester with a passing grade. Turning this passion I have for writing to you guys and slowly creating it into a career. Figuring out the next place to go after here. Traveling while I’m young. Being with my friends while I can.
The picture in the beginning of this post is a picture of downtown New Orleans. That’s a type of place I think I may like to live. That may change, but right now that’s sort of a visual of where I would like to be soon.
I hope y’all enjoyed reading this. Know that it is alright to not know exactly how you want to spend your life. Not too long ago I was pretty sure I wanted to go into Graphic Design or something. I started this blog and now, thanks to all the love alright support I’ve gotten from you, it’s taken over my life. Now I want to go into business. A lot of changes and uncertainty has been making its way into my life lately. It’s okay to stumble. It’s okay too kook make mistakes.
But while we’re young and building our foundations, we should at least be happy.