The new year has started which means its out with the old and in with the new. I love the idea of the new year because it means there’s a fresh start to take by the hands and dance with. It’s an opportunity to reflect on the year that just passed, while also stepping into a recreation of myself.
As most of us can probably agree, 2017 was not a good year to us. What I mean by this is looking back, I KNOW great things happened this past year but there’s just an overall melancholy feeling hovering over the numbers of 2017. It even sounds unlucky to me now. Like maybe hotel rooms like start skipping 17 or it’ll be the new “Monday, the seventeenth” or something dramatic like that. There just seemed to be an overwhelming overload of bad news, tragic crisis, and feeling super small. Are you feeling me here? Am I coming out of left field?
Anyways, that being said I wanted to highlight some of the better parts of my year. Disclaimer: this is in no way to brag or boast, but I have accomplished plenty of things I’m proud of and there’s nothing wrong with that.
- The first thing that pops into my mind on the list of accomplishments has to do with my blog. In the middle or so of 2017, I was awarded the opportunity to have ads on my blog. This means my site had to go under a transfer, which turned out to be the best push forward ever. I can do things on here that I always imagined. It was the first step in validating this dream of mine.
- The second biggest thing that happened was buying my car. My first car pooped out on me, I guess somewhere in late July or early August. By the grace of God, the car I have now was already in my sights. I was out and about driving again once the weekend was over.
- My family and I moved out of our little apartment into an awesome house. This just happened recently, as most of you would know from previous blog posts. We love our new location. It’s been a good change.
- I got to visit my family in New Orleans at least 3 times over the past year. I love going back to my roots. It’s always a big deal for me and my brother to go back and explore the city we adore, while see our family we miss everyday.
- Lastly, I started a new blog at my job!!! Okay, so this may have been the most pivotal point in my life of 2017. I worked on a proposal to start a blog for about two weeks before introducing my idea to the owner. I don’t think anyone understands how much of a big deal this was for me. This was the second step in turning this devoted dream of mine into a tangible career. This is perhaps what I”m most excited about for the start of 2018.
Okay, so as you can see in 2017 I stayed on my grind to get things done. However, there were a few things I couldn’t quite grasp, and some habits I didn’t really set into place. I know I did everything I could to make 2017 successful. Still though, I find myself thinking that I’m moving at such a slow pace. Everyone has their own paths to success, and the hardest part of creating your own is looking at your neighbors’ to see who’s in first place.
I’ve learned from 2017 that there are certain ways I hold myself back, and there are some things I don’t prioritize that I really should. And thus, the list of resolutions begins!!!
- The first thing I want to do in 2018 is get rid of toxic friends. This past year I really tried my hardest to form new friendships and maintain the ones I thought I had. This turned out to be a one-sided ordeal. I found myself lonelier than ever. So I will go into 2018 with a tiny protective chip on my shoulder. Some may say that’s not the best way to start the new year, but those people probably have reliable friends.
- Focus on myself more. 2017 started the internal battle within myself of constantly wondering if I cared what other people thought, or cared about myself more. But I’ve decided that I can do both, but worry about my happiness more often.
- A key factor to a better me in 2018 is paying more attention to my need of self care. Somehow I got into the habit of relying on others so much that its now hard for me to be alone for long periods of time. I also get embarrassed when I go out alone because I feel like others will think I’m a loser. Isn’t that ridiculous? I will start spending more time with myself and become my own friend this year. You have to be your own biggest fan, right?
- I need to build my credit. This February I turn 20 and soon it will be time to be an adult. I know I have a good credit score, but I need to build credit history. I want people to look at my score and be like “Dang, she’s responsible AF”. It’ll make me feel good.
- This might sound a little reverse, but I actually want to shop more often. People who know me know how frugal I am. Saving money was always fun for me for some reason, even as a child. But it’s gotten to the point where it’s borderline obsessive. I’m almost in need of an intervention. Saving money is a great thing, until it means you’re not eating for hours because you’re too cheap to spend $5.00. Also, shopping is very therapeutic to me. It gives me a deep new inspiration every time, and that’s something I can’t afford to limit myself on these days.
- As cliche as it sounds, 2018 is the year I want to be healthier. Being healthy physically is something that I sort of shrug off because I have a natural slim body type. These past few months of 2017 I’ve been going to the gym to run and also tone up some. I can tell the difference between when I go to the gym often and when I don’t. Going to the gym is an accomplishment that usually only takes me about half an hour or so. It lets me know that I really am doing my best for my body.
- Being nicer to the planet has also been on my mind. I love thinking that I’m conscious of my footprint on this planet, but I’m really not. Sure, I’ll take tiny steps to decrease certain things, but overall I’m still a selfish human. I don’t know of any recycling places here where I live, but that doesn’t mean I should just give up on that. And going vegan might not be realistic for me, but I could limit myself on steak probably. I just want to be able to feel better about my place on this world. I bought a reusable shopping bag, so I’ve started the journey slowly.
- Another way I could help the planet is by donating. I like to donate when I get the chance. I always appreciate it when they ask me at the register. I have no idea how much I’ve donated in the past, but I can be confident that in 2018 I will still be donating a little here and there. Really, I want my resolution to be donating my time. I want to volunteer and really make a difference to someone face to face.
- In the new year, a dramatic and important change I need to make is learning how to be more content with where I am and how I’m doing. It’s easy to feel like I could be doing better, or things would be easier elsewhere but that really never helps the situation that I’m in. It develops this damaging mindset that no matter what, I’ll never be satisfied. That’s not who I want to be.
- I want to be nicer. I think I’m pretty nice person. People tell me I’m sweet and thoughtful. I’m glad that people think that about me, but I also know I tend to be really negative. Whether it’s when someone hurts my feelings, or I’m having a bad day, I’m honestly just a bitch. That needs to stop.
- However, I want to be meaner as well. I don’t think I’ve ever met a single person with the goal of being meaner. Let me explain. I know I have a sharp tongue, I get that. But I never have a sharp tongue at the right moment. If someone deserves it, you better believe I have no remorse in whatever I have to say. But I want to have the guts to say them. If I can say whatever I need to say in the moment, there’d be no reason to be that way later. I’d be mean and prove a point, go about my day unbothered, so therefore be nicer to others. Right? I guess a better way to put it would be to stand up for myself.
- A huge goal of mine for the new year is to stop freaking out so much about time. I never feel like I have enough time. I feel like everything is rushing at me like a train and I’m just paralysed my the sound. But the truth is, I’m actually on the train, and it’s called LIFE. And I”m so busy worrying about the destination, I never look out the window. The destination will still be there, even if I take a few pit stops and go sightseeing.
Okay, so that was the first round of my soul-searching really deep and meaningful resolutions, but what about the other stuff?
- Drawing more has been on the tips on my fingers lately. I really want to, but I’m never inspired. I need to just doodle or something.
- The same thing goes for writing more. I used to write SO MUCH and now it’s hard for me to even pick up a pen. I’ve started to at least write in my journal as often as I can. This has helped me slow down and reflect on the day I just had, rather than worrying about the next.
- I also want to spend more time reading. Reading helps me write. I don’t know why, but it does. I’m setting the goal of reading one book a week. That should be easy for me. We’ll just have to see how it goes. I really like poetry books right now, and biographies?
- Something else I found inside me was the yearning to learn. I honestly really love learning. I find mostly everything in this world extremely interesting. In 2018, I want to learn about more things. Whether it’s watching documentaries or going out and experiencing something new, I want to be doing it.
- Along with learning, traveling also would be a huge new goal for me. They go hand in hand. By traveling I don’t necessarily mean going international, or even across the country. I just want to go exploring more. I want to visit more art museums, write my name all over the place. I’m smiling just thinking about it. I could learn, travel, shop, and write about it all.
- Lastly, in 2018, I want to drink more water. I hate the taste of water. It’s so disgusting. But it’s good for me.
Okay friends, that’s all I have for you on this Monday. I hope some of these inspired you to start the new year off right. Let me know of some resolutions you have. We can meet our goals together.
P.S. check out my home page for the new posting schedule starting today Jan 1st. See y’all later.